Escaping Flatland: Learning to Fly

« Home | Post-it Note Reviews » | Skype Weemees » | Those who live in a Glass Factory... » | Badmash Strips » | The Administration has gone to Plan F » | Black Friday Bargain Hunting » | The curious poodle she-bang » | Vela afternoon » | Timing » | Single Men »·

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Learning to Fly

Born to RunEver since I can remember, I have been quite fond of learning. When I was growing up, I was allowed to buy one book a month - no more, no less. I would look forward to my monthly trip to Popular Book Store in Kamla Nagar (Delhi), where I would buy a book on math puzzles, crosswords, magic tricks, or a plain old Enid Blyton (or later, Hardy Boys). It is perhaps during these formative years that I developed a taste for learning by reading from books. At school, the CBSE-regulated, one-size-fits-all course curriculum, lack of vocational facilities and poorly trained teachers further reinforced the need for self-sufficiency.
"We Learned More from a Three Minute Record Baby Than We Ever Learned in School"
Over the years, I have experimented with three didactic models: self-learning, formal classroom teaching, and learning through osmosis (from experts, groups, and associations). So far, I have found self-learning to be the most effective, and learning through osmosis the least.

Self-learning: When I'm passionate about something, I will research it to death - read books in the library, scrounge the WWW for insight - and practise the skill myself. That's how I learnt computer programming, photography, classical music / modern art (appreciation only, unfortunately), and information visualization.  I experimented with formal classroom teaching, but was disappointed with the results. Computer programming classes at school focused on rules, syntax, structure, and unimaginative homework assignments, instead of teaching us how to explore logical concepts, implement algorithms, develop games - the reasons I was drawn the computers in the first place. Ditto with Photography. My B&W photography class at Pittsburgh Filmmakers taught me mechanical procedures for photo exposing and darkroom processing, instead of delving into theory (say, the theory of optics, photochemical chemistry) or creativity (photographic techniques, photo study and critiquing). In short, my creative, abstract skills and interests have been self-inculcated and self-developed.

Formal 'classroom' training: When I'm dealing with the physical world - doing things with my hands and assorted body parts - more than my mind, I find that a physical teaching space helps. When I was learning Salsa, Ice Skating, Golf, Swimming, or Yoga, I seemed to perform much better in a schooled environment - dance classes, practice sessions, hands-on training. My guess is that these tactile skills require an internal, physical intuition that I sorely lack.

Learning through Osmosis: In developing my abstract interests, I have joined many clubs and societies over the years, in the hope that hanging around like-minded people will teach me something. For the most part, this has not been worth the effort. I have been a member of a variety of groups, ranging from intellectual masturbation clubs like AAWD (Anything Abstract Will Do) or the Objectivist Club, to study groups like SAHA (South Asian History Association), to hobby clubs like APG (Atlanta Photography Group). To gain from such a group, members must be at similar skill levels, have similar expectations, the group dynamics should be conducive to learning (non-judgemental, yet providing honest critique - not sycophantic banter; not heavily moderated) and individual members must be committed to learning. In other words, too many stars that need to be in alignment - making this a cumbersome model for learning; I have yet to see it work.

Search Blog

About me

The usual
The unusual
My Photoblog
My Amazon Wishlist

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Suvir.

Background

London Eye, from a recent trip to Europe


MyBlogLog