Escaping Flatland: Power over People

« Home | India in the Top 10 Economies » | The Young, Product Designers » | Reckless Abandonement » | Cowboys and Indians » | How to make money » | The poetry of Donald Rumsfeld » | Simple pleasures of corporate life » | Seattle Trip » | IMMinent Disaster » | Heartfelt, mindless thoughts »·

Friday, August 26, 2005

Power over People

What if you had the power to influence other people’s lives? What if you could make decisions that would cause people to change their job, move their home, disrupt their family’s lives? That’s a dangerous weapon – <>

In my previous job, I was in a position where I could make recommendations on people the company should hire. From time to time, I was also asked to provide input on whom to fire. A carelessly phrased opinion could change somebody’s life. I tended to be conservative in my feedback.

Now, I’m working on projects where our team’s recommendations could cause entire companies to go bankrupt. That’s tens of thousands of people’s lives depending upon what I think and say.

Scary. And Humbling.

Search Blog

About me

The usual
The unusual
My Photoblog
My Amazon Wishlist

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Suvir.

Background

London Eye, from a recent trip to Europe


MyBlogLog