Escaping Flatland: Simple pleasures of corporate life

« Home | Seattle Trip » | IMMinent Disaster » | Heartfelt, mindless thoughts » | Lunch, anyone? » | Tall, Grande, or Venti » | 21 Grams » | In America » | Phir bhi dil hai Hindustani... » | Rishte mein to ham tumhare baap lagte hain... » | The Day After »·

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Simple pleasures of corporate life

OK, there’s the good news and the bad news. The bad news is that Amazon got back to me, and they need someone much more technical than I am. I did not qualify for the job. Bummer. One thing I learnt from this whole process was that the best way, the only way, of getting an interview call, is to know someone inside the company who can push your resume forward. So my next strategy is to look for other companies where I know people. This would have been so much easier in India, when my IIM alumni could have helped me out. Out here in the US, I feel like a pariah. Sure, I can try the network from CMU – but I have found that Indians tend to help each other way more than Americans do.

And now the good news. I just got my annual performance review at this job. Turns out it’s the best review I’ve ever gotten. Consistent “Above Average” on every single attribute! OK, I’m not at “Outstanding” yet, but it’s a major improvement. I’m hoping it leads to a commensurate pay increase (though this is highly doubtful :). Right now, though, I’m living the moment, and trying to counterbalance the ephemeral sorrow of losing the Amazon job with the short-lived joy of the review.

Ah, the simple pleasures of corporate life.

Search Blog

About me

The usual
The unusual
My Photoblog
My Amazon Wishlist

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Suvir.

Background

London Eye, from a recent trip to Europe


MyBlogLog