Escaping Flatland: S.B. Phone Home

« Home | Innovative Trends » | By the River Piedra... » | Uncanny Valley » | Top 10 Science Myths » | A Picture is worth a thousand 101100 » | Rusell Peters, et al » | Another One Bites The Dust » | Watching Paint Dry Dept. » | Space, the Final Frontier » | Exacti-dudes »·

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

S.B. Phone Home

Dubya admitted to wiretapping US phones in the name of fighting terrorism last week. The NSA has been allegedly "tapping" into Internet traffic for years now, using Echelon. Meanwhile, India has its share of wiretapping allegations, with entirely different motives: political gain.

Sandip Roy on NPR has a funny take on Bushie's eavesdropping plans. He plays a conversation with his Bengali mother, peppering it with comments in English for the Bong-challenged NSA spook

Which set me thinking are the conversations between parents and their emigrated children. My own weekly tete-a-tete usually covers the following points:

  • The Weather - In Delhi and Altanta; throw in comments about central heating/AC, snow, smog and monsoons
  • My Love Life - specifically, whether I have found someone worth getting married to. This is discussed every week
  • My Health - am I eating right, am I exercising enough, have I meditated this week
  • My Investments - the Indian stock market, real estate prices, my loans
  • How busy my sister is nowadays
  • I should call more often
As Sandip says, if they are looking for patterns, they are sure to find quite a few. And talk of money. And suicide (this usually accompanies the Love Life discussion).

How does your conversation compare?



� � � � �

Update: Comedy Central conducted some serious investigative journalism to give us their viewpoint on the wiretapping situation [Link].

Search Blog

About me

The usual
The unusual
My Photoblog
My Amazon Wishlist

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Suvir.

Background

London Eye, from a recent trip to Europe


MyBlogLog